2. October 2022
Today’s business environment is fast, competitive and constantly changing. To thrive in this environment, businesses need to be as agile as possible. Working in any small to medium sized business with a small team can be challenging at times. You might find yourself juggling numerous tasks and struggling to keep up with every step of your processes.
In this blog post, we will explain what workflow automation software is and will look at different ways you can use workflow automation software to streamline your operations and improve efficiency. So, whether you’re just thinking about automating your business processes or have already implemented some solutions — keep reading to learn more!
What is workflow automation software?
Workflow automation is a method of ensuring that the flow of tasks, documents, and information across work-related activities operates autonomously and in accordance with defined business rules. It is often used in the context of computer-based systems that enable companies to execute their business activities more efficiently with less manual input as compared to traditional methods. As a computer-based solution, workflow automation can be implemented either on-premises or in the cloud. It is generally implemented as a software application that automates the tasks involved in a business process.
Why should you automate your business workflow?
Businesses are always looking for new ways to improve efficiency and productivity. This can be done through a combination of organisational changes, new technology and creative workflow design. Automating your workflow can improve the following areas: -
- Accuracy: When people are managing more than one task at the same time, they are prone to errors. Workflow automation can reduce errors by cutting down on multitasking.
- Time to market: The faster you can deliver your products or services, the more likely you are to gain market share.
- Customer satisfaction: The quicker you can get products to customers and resolve issues, the happier your customers will be.
- Cost savings: Automating your workflow doesn’t always result in cost savings, but it will help you reduce unnecessary expenses.
- Staff retention: Workflow automation can reduce employee burnout and decrease turnover rates.
How to implement workflow automation?
Workflow automation can be achieved in a number of ways, including the following: -
- Automated sequencing: Sequencing is the order in which activities are performed. Task management software is an excellent example of an automated sequencing app. When sequencing is automated, you can program your software to follow the same sequence every time.
- Automated routing: Routing is the process of directing items from one person or system to another. Automated routing can help you avoid bottlenecks and other potential issues.
- Automated triggers: Triggers are actions that are automatically executed when predetermined conditions are met. With automated triggers, activities can be executed based on events experienced by other people or systems.
- Rules-based activities: Rules-based activities are similar to triggers, but they don’t require predefined conditions.
How to find the right workflow automation software?
This is a tough question to answer because it depends on your business goals & requirement, because there is no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" solution. You will want to find a solution that fits your current workflow, but you don’t want to limit your future options. Fortunately, there are a few questions you can ask yourself to help you find the right workflow automation software for your business.
- Have you identified the business processes that could be automated
- Do you have the necessary skills internally within the company to identify these processes
- What tools are you currently using to manage these processes
- What features are important to you? What types of workflows do you want to automate?
- Have you sat down with your team to discuss and map out these processes thoroughly
- Have you explored the stakeholders involved, the roles, locations and user journeys.
- Do you have a realistic budget available to implement a solution
- Have you identified the vendors that offer that can meet your needs?
Here are some important considerations when selecting the right workflow system for your company:
- Ease of use: Make sure the software you select is simple to use and understand for your workforce.
- Security: Make sure the software has up-to-date security features that prevent unauthorised access to sensitive information, which may cause serious damage.
- Integration: The more platforms and applications your workflow management software integrates with, the more valuable it becomes. Look for a solution that connects with a variety of services and applications.
- API: Consider a solution that offers its own API which offers you greater flexibility and allows integration with third-party applications and services. You should also investigate the tool's compatibility with Java or .Net programming languages.
Businesses that automate their workflow will find that they are more efficient and productive. They will also be able to save money by improving efficiencies and getting tasks done quicker.
ERS IT Solutions have been developing robust software applications for over 20 years and have an impeccable reputation for delivering successful projects on time and on budget for businesses of all size. Request a free demo today to see how our Team Konnect Rapid Application Development Platform can help automate your business workflows or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org